Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Even here in Thessaloniki, it is starting to look and feel like Christmas. Stores have snowflakes and red and green decorations in their windows. There are tons of buildings with little Santas hanging off the balcony like he's trying to climb a latter (very amusing). Many of the streets, including our own, have lights along them.

Last weekend was really fun just being in one place the whole time. I went to the modern art museum Saturday morning with our professor to see the Miro exhibit. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Sunday I got to sleep in as long as I wanted and I loved it. Then I realized that I had homework and finals to study for and that was not so lovely.

This is the last week of classes for most of us. Some people leave as early as this coming Monday! The building is going to get really quiet really fast I think. I had my first final yesterday and my last is on Wednesday. Classes ended well and I'm really happy with the ones I chose. Greek got a little more complicated but I've also been able to use more phrases around the city. We finally learned directions and adverbs of places which makes directing a cab driver much easier. My final yesterday was for the European Union politics class which although I've found the class interesting, the second half of the semester was not as exciting as the first. Still I think I've learned a lot in that class, and the final went well. Art History does not have a final, instead we get a take home exam and a research paper due January 8th. Maybe I can get it done and not have to work on it when I get home.

Last night was our dorm Christmas party. Since this is the last weekend everyone is all together we had to pull out all the stops. Everyone was dressed up in random holiday things that we were able to find around the city. Some people were even creative enough to make vests and hats out of wrapping paper. We hung lights from the interior balcony, including a light up Santa. It turned into a big event with a lot more people than expected from ACT and the other buildings, but it was a lot of fun. The rest of the weekend should be a little more relaxed including crunch time for finals on Monday.

Only 10 more days till I leave Thessaloniki. Tomorrow starts the single digits!
Hope all of you are doing well. Until next time.

1 Comments:

At December 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM , Blogger DianeTaylor said...

WOOHOO - the count down into the signle digits begins. What a fun Xmas party you guys had - no holiday parties for me this year since Uncle Dave got laid off. But we will make our own party.
Have a good week - glad your finals are going well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home