Thursday, November 5, 2009

it's Thursday again

Another week has gone by and it is time for an update. I was just thinking that I did not have anything too exciting that has happened and then realized that I never got to write about going to the soccer game! Last Saturday, also Halloween, I went to see a professional soccer game here in Thessaloniki. It was a local team that apparently isn't the best but has a great fan base. Turns out our sources were correct, they do have great fans and it made for an exciting game. Unfortunately the weather was not in our favor and it was cold and rainy the whole time, but it really made me feel like I was back home in Foxboro watching the Revs. The game was pretty good, stayed tied at 0-0 till stoppage time of the second half. Finally after keeping the pressure on pretty much the entire game our home team scored!! The crowd went nuts, people even jumped up on the fence that surrounded the field. Probably the biggest difference between this and a game in the States was the fact that they were lighting flares and fireworks from the stands. Yeah, it was crazy, but so much fun.

After the game we made our way back to the dorm to get ready for our own Halloween celebration, Greek style. Greeks don't celebrate it but we decided that shouldn't stop us, so we had a toga party in the basement laundry room. We even got it approved by our RA. I spent almost two hours with Jamie looking up how to wrap togas on You-tube and after much trial and error and no internet assistance, we figured it out. Did I mention we were using the sheets from our beds? Here is a group shot of a bunch of us, huddled around our lovely washing machine. To make the best use of our time, someone was even doing laundry while the party was going on, quality multi-tasking. All in all it was a fun day but it just wasn't the same as Halloween with candy corn and carving pumpkins. Guess I will have to double up on everything next year.

This week of classes was mostly busy. It's midterms time and I lucked out with only two this week and two more next week. This week was Greek language and Modern Art. I feel really good about the Greek one, I came out feeling really confident but the Art one, not so much. I did what I could but Art is really not my strong suit, I think Allie hogged all those genes, which I guess is only fair because I took all the music ones :)

Tomorrow we get excused from our classes and the school is taking us to Athens! By taking us I mean that we have already paid for the trip they are just pretending we didn't. I'm not too excited about it mostly because it is going to be 3 full buses of students which means lots of logistical complications along with sitting around and waiting. I am glad that I already toured Athens when I was with Allie because we are only going to see the Acropolis and the new museum with the school, so I would have missed out on everything else. They did leave us plenty of time for shopping so I hope to find some good Christmas presents! Not to mention it should be fun just to get away for the weekend, because really when do I ever go anywhere?! Just kidding.

Until next week!

1 Comments:

At November 10, 2009 at 3:46 AM , Blogger DianeTaylor said...

You gguys look great - all I could think of when I saw the above pic was "TOGA...TOGA...TOGA" from Animal House! LOL! I was up in RI this past weekend, saw everyone, and Allie brought her book of pics from your trip together. Your camera takes really good pics! I loved looking at them :)
Have a good week!
Auntie Diane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home