Tuesday, October 20, 2009

only 2 months left

Well it was another relaxing weekend here in Thessaloniki. The weather was better than it was during the week at least on Saturday and Sunday which made it nice to head out and walk around. Friday night was pouring rain so a bunch of us stayed in and watched a movie. Now I am not big into scary movies, but I am proud to say that I made it through The Shinning without a big problem, I even slept that night!

Saturday morning Jamie Diana and I went on a shopping mission down to Aristotle square which turned out to be fairly successful. We found a lot of cool shops and after making some exciting purchases (not on my part) we went to the open market for some fresh food! It really was a meat market, where at times we even felt like the meat. I ended up not taking any pictures, I was too busy making sure I held onto my purse. Anyway, the food was fantastic, Diana bought some salmon and I finally got chicken! It is really expensive here in the supermarkets, about 8-9 EURO just for two chicken breasts, but I got a huge one for only 2 at the market. We just learned the numbers in Greek class which helped a little bit when I was trying to buy some potatoes. I tried telling him that I wanted 4 but he thought that I meant 4 EURO worth and grabbed this bucket and started filling it. I said no no, just 4 and started counting in Greek. After a few tries of that and some hand signals he laughed and understood, and I got my 4 potatoes!

With heavy bags and empty wallets we made our way back to the dorm to take a nap before heading out to celebrate our friend Alexis' birthday. A group of about 20 of us went out to a traditional taverna for dinner and then dancing. It was a lot of fun and we had some great food and laughs. They messed up our orders and took a lot time to bring us the food so we got free dessert! We aren't sure what it was but it was delicious.

This Thursday is the 2 month mark, only 2 months left till I come home. Again it is exciting and sad all at the same time. I also leave on Thursday to go to Crete and the Peloponnese. We just got informed of a change in our return flight Tuesday night, and just found out that we don't have class on Thursday like we originally though. So we are going to try and take advantage of that. Diana and I hopefully will stay in Athens an extra night and make a day trip to Delphi which is about 3 hours away. It is a trip we were planning on taking later in the semester but it is so much easier to do from Athens and now we have the extra time. Assuming that works out I will be back on Thursday and ready to fill you in on the trip!

Best wishes to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home